The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Where People Can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with the USA

Where claims can be lodged

Claims for Australian benefits covered by the Agreement may be lodged:

  • in the USA with any office of the Social Security Administration,
  • in a third country with which Australia has an appropriate agreement, with the authority nominated in the Administrative Arrangement to the appropriate agreement, and
  • in Australia with any Centrelink office.

The process for people claiming US benefits is different to that for Australian benefits. Centrelink will assist people residing in Australia who wish to claim a US benefit. They will collect personal details (including the person's US social security number) and pass these on to the Veteran Affairs Office in Manila, which will then send the necessary claim forms. Centrelink will not have claim forms for US benefits. For more information on claiming a US benefit while living in Australia contact Centrelink International Services.

In addition, Article 16 of the Agreement protects the rights of a person who lodges a claim for payment with the agency of one party. That claim shall also be considered an application for benefit from the other party:

  • when the person requests it to be, or
  • when the person indicates on that claim that they have completed relevant periods under the laws of the other party.

This Article ensures that people outside Australia are not disadvantaged as a result of mailing delays.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 13 USA

Last reviewed: