The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. TheĀ information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Where People Can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with Belgium

Where claims can be lodged

Claims for Australian pensions covered by the Agreement can be lodged:

  • in Belgium, with the relevant Belgian insurance agency,
  • in Australia, at any Centrelink office, or
  • in a third country with which Australia has an appropriate Agreement, with the Authority nominated in the Administrative Arrangement to the relevant Agreement.

Article 23 of the Agreement protects the rights of a person who lodges a claim for a pension with the competent institution of one country. That claim shall be considered to be a claim for a corresponding pension from the other country if the claimant indicates on the claim that there is, or was, an affiliation with the social security system of the other country. Claims should be forwarded to the other country without delay.

In addition, the date on which a claim is lodged with the competent institution of one country is the official date of lodgement for the other country's purposes. This ensures that people outside Australia are not disadvantaged as a result of mailing delays.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 18 Belgium

Last reviewed: