The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Qualification for ex-CA (child) HCC for 16-25 year old students

Qualification (1.1.Q.10) criteria

To qualify for the ex-CA (child) HCC, a person must meet the criteria listed in the following table. If more detail about a criterion is required, the second column indicates where you will find this.

Criterion More detail
ALL of the following
Be aged at least 16 and have not turned 26, AND  
Be a full-time student, AND This topic
Be an Australian resident, living in Australia at the time of lodging the claim, AND 3.1.1 Residence requirements
Be the former holder of a CA HCC who held it the day before their 16th birthday, AND HCC Provisions for Children & Dependants
Have provided a contact address, AND  
Have supplied sufficient POI documents.  

No personal or parental income or asset test is applicable.

Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) An Australian resident …

Proper claim

A person must lodge a proper claim before the ex-CA (child) HCC can be granted.

Act reference: SSAct section 1061ZO(9) Qualification (ex-CA (child) HCC)

Policy reference: SS Guide 8.1.1 Claim lodgement provisions

Carers, dependants & the ex-CA (child) HCC

The card may be claimed by 16-25 year olds who were CA (child) care receivers. If granted, it will be issued to, and in the name of, the claimant. The card is not issued to a former CA (child) care recipient's parent or carer. No dependants can be listed on this card. The ex-CA (child) HCC will be issued for a 12 month period, subject to ongoing eligibility. Cardholders will need to reapply each year, providing confirmation of their student status.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 240B(2) Restrictions on listing of dependants

Am I an ex-CA (child) care receiver?

The ex-CA (child) HCC may be claimed by former care receivers who attracted a CA HCC only and those who entitled their carer to payment of CA. This is provided they had a CA HCC on the day before their 16th birthday. As long as they remain in full-time study, ex-CA (child) care receivers may be eligible for the ex-CA (child) HCC until their 26th birthday.

In the event that a person made a claim for CA (child) before 1 October 2007 which was not determined before the care receiver turned 16 years of age, transitional provisions have been included in the legislation. If the CA (child) claim decision determines that the care receiver would have been entitled to a CA HCC on the day before their 16th birthday, then the care receiver is eligible to claim the ex-CA (child) HCC.

Act reference: SSAct section 953 Qualification for CA-caring for either 1 or 2 disabled children, section 1061ZK(3) Qualification: general rules, section 1061ZO(9) Qualification (ex-CA (child) HCC)

Policy reference: SS Guide HCC Provisions for Children & Dependants

Full-time student status

A full-time student can be accepted as undertaking at least three-quarters of a full-time study-load, consistent with ABSTUDY, Austudy, PES and YA requirements. An apprentice does not meet the definition of 'student'.

What if I take a break from studying?

A person may lose qualification for a period but can reclaim at any time after turning 16 and before reaching 26 years of age.

Example: Tanya is 18 years old and commences full-time study at university. She claims and is granted the ex-CA (child) HCC. After first semester she defers her studies for personal reasons. Tanya loses qualification for the ex-CA (child) HCC when she stops studying. She recommences her full-time studies the following year. Tanya is able to make a claim for the ex-CA (child) HCC again as she has recommenced full-time study.

Cardholders travelling overseas

Ex-CA (child) HCCs can remain current if the holder departs Australia temporarily.

Act reference: SSAct section 1061ZO(9) Qualification (ex-CA (child) HCC)

Residence requirements

A protected SCV holder may qualify for the ex-CA (child) HCC.

Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) Australian resident …

Policy reference: SS Guide 3.1.1 Residence requirements

Residence qualification - international health agreements

Visitors from other countries including those with which Australia has an international health care agreement are NOT residentially qualified for an ex-CA (child) HCC. These people however may wish to enquire at a Medicare office about their eligibility for Medicare assistance.

Prisoners & detainees

Prisoners and detainees are prevented from qualifying for social security payments, and the concession cards that are automatically issued with these payments, under SSAct section 1158.

Prisoners and detainees are also prevented from qualifying for claim-required concession cards like the ex-CA (child) HCC and the LIC, under section SSAct 1159A.

Act reference: SSAct section 1158 Some social security payments not payable during period in gaol or in psychiatric confinement following criminal charge, section 1159A Person not qualified for some concession cards when in gaol or in psychiatric confinement following criminal charge

Entitlement to other HCCs & ex-CA (child) HCC

A person can have entitlement to multiple concession cards. However, only the most appropriate card will be issued to the person.

Act reference: SSAct section 1061ZO Qualification

Policy reference: SS Guide Notification & Recipient Obligations for HCC

Last reviewed: