The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. RA overpayments


This topic contains information on RA overpayments.

RA overpayments

A RA overpayment can occur if a recipient fails to notify of a change in circumstances.

Example: These can include:

  • change of residential circumstances including

    • change of address
    • rent amount variation
    • move to government housing
    • start/stop sharing their accommodation with others
  • change of relationship status or other family circumstances.

However, the above list is not exhaustive. In the case of an overpayment, the recipient may continue to receive RA at a higher rate than they are entitled to, in which case a RA debt can be raised.

Act reference: SSAct section 1223 Debts arising from lack of qualification, overpayment etc.

Policy reference: SS Guide Notification, verification & recipient obligations for RA

Last reviewed: