The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia.

8.2.1 Transfers

Claim not required

The Secretary or delegate may determine that a person be transferred from any income support payment to any other income support payment without making a claim provided that:

  • qualification for the 2 payments is either overlapping or continuous
  • there is nothing that would prevent the transfer being effected by the person claiming and being granted and paid the second payment over the same time frame as is provided for under the provisions for transfer without making a claim
  • the backdating of the transfer is limited to 13 weeks from the date of the decision to transfer. That is, the transfer should be backdated to the date of qualification or 13 weeks, whichever is the later date. This applies only to decisions made on or after 1 January 2008, and
  • it is not possible to transfer to a closed payment after 1 January 2008.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases

SSAct section 23(1)-'income support payment'

Verification requirements for transfers

If a person is transferring between a social security pension or benefit either with or without a claim, they do NOT need to provide full POI if previous POI was acceptable.

If a person is transferring to a payment that requires more proof of age or residence, normal verification procedures for these details apply.

Example: Further proof of age or residence may be required when transferring from JSP to Age.

Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'social security pension', section 23(1)-'social security benefit'

Policy reference: SS Guide 2.2 Verification

Transfers to JSP or YA job seeker

Unless exempt from RapidConnect, a person transferring to JSP or YA job seeker may be required to attend an initial interview with an employment services provider before JSP or YA becomes payable to them through a transfer. Job seekers who have been referred to online employment services may be required to agree their Job Plan before payment can commence.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 63 Requirement to attend Department etc., Schedule 2 clause 4A Start day for JSP and YA if claimant required to attend interview

Policy reference: SS Guide 3.11.12 Initial connection to employment services (RapidConnect), Exemption from RapidConnect provisions

Transfers to DSP or CP

Apart from exceptional cases, a person must lodge a claim to transfer to DSP or CP. This is because the claim procedures for these payments are designed to ensure specific qualification requirements are met.

Explanation: Exceptional cases are limited to vulnerable people. Vulnerable people are those who have a mental health condition and either lack insight into their mental health condition or live in a remote community with little or no access to health services.

Application of transfer without a claim - Age

The most common form of transfer without the need for a claim is from PP, DSP or CP to Age. The following table sets out procedures for these transfers.

New payment type Requirement for transferring to new payment type
  • People currently receiving the payments listed above can transfer to Age when they meet all the Age requirements. A new claim form is NOT required for these transfers.
  • People may be required to provide further details and documentation relating to age, residence, income and assets, including superannuation, and meet CFP requirements. A new claim is not required for these transfers.
  • DSP, PP and CP recipients likely to be adversely affected by transferring to Age should be contacted and offered the choice between payments.
  • Example: RA sharers or PES recipients.

Case where it is best NOT to transfer to Age

There are some cases where it is in the person's interests to remain on the original pension rather than transferring to Age.

Example 1: In some circumstances it may be in the person's interest to remain on CP, rather than transfer to Age. For example, if the care receiver did not have a partner, or the partner was not a pensioner or beneficiary, the carer receiving CP is entitled to a bereavement lump sum payment in addition to continuation of pension during any bereavement period.

Example 2: CP and DSP recipients can receive PES so are better off NOT transferring to Age.

Application of transfer without a claim - PP

Previously, under the SSAct, there were special provisions exempting a person receiving CP (caring for a partner) whose pensioner partner dies from having to complete a claim for PP.

The ability to transfer these people to PP without a claim is now supported by SS(Admin)Act section 12. Section 12 also removes the requirement to complete a claim form for all other recipients transferring from another income support payment to PP.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases

SSAct section 23(1)-'income support payment'

Last reviewed: