4.1.1 Effective claims for PLP
A claim for PLP is only an effective claim if it:
- is made by a person who can make an effective PPL claim (1.1.P.165) or special PPL claim (1.1.S.55)
- is in a form and manner required for the type of claim, and if it contains any information required and is accompanied by any documents required
- contains the claimant's TFN statement
- is made in the period starting 97 days before the expected DOB or placement of the child and ending on
- if an effective claim has been made by a PPL claimant before the child’s first birthday or first anniversary of the child’s day of placement - on the day before the child's second birthday or the second anniversary of the child's day of placement, or
- otherwise the day before the child’s first birthday or the first anniversary of the child's day of placement.
- specifies one or more days being claimed
- is a claim for flexible PPL days that are not more than 100 days before the day the claim is made, unless the claimant is a COVID-19 affected claimant (1.1.C.165) or a person who has counted the COVID-19 disaster payment as qualifying work for the purposes of the work test
- includes a declaration from the claimant that they will not be working, will meet care requirements on the flexible PPL days claimed and will meet residency requirements on the date of birth or date of placement for adoption and on the flexible PPL days claimed.
In addition, if:
- the claim is a PPL claim and it is made before the child's birth or placement for adoption, the claim must specify the child's expected date of birth or placement of the child
- the claim is made after the birth or date of placement for adoption it contains information about the child's actual DOB or placement
- the claim is made by a person who cannot make an effective claim for PLP unless permission to make claims (4.1.6) in relation to the child has been given and not revoked, the person has permission to make claims from the relevant person.
A PLP claim that does not meet these requirements and does not contain all the information and accompanying documents required by Centrelink is not an effective claim and is taken not to have been made. A non-effective claim cannot be determined by Centrelink.
A claimant whose claim is not effective may claim PLP again.
Act reference: PPLAct section 54 Who can make a PPL claim or special PPL claim, section 55 When a claim is effective, section 56 Requirements of the claim, section 57A Specification in claim of flexible PPL days for a child etc., section 58 Expected date of birth, section 59 Tax file number statement, section 59A Permission to make claims for flexible PPL days for a child, section 60 When to claim, section 275 How this Act applies to an adopted child
Policy reference: PPL Guide 2.5 Caring for a child, 4.1.2 Types of claims & claimants for PLP, 4.1.3 Form of claim for PLP, 4.1.6 Permission to make claims, 4.1.7 When to claim PLP, 4.1.8 Withdrawal or variation of claim for PLP