1.1.P.165 PPL claim
Centrelink cannot make a determination that PLP is payable to a person for a child unless a person has made an effective PPL claim or special PPL claim. Only a natural person can make a claim.
A PPL claim is a claim in the form approved by Centrelink for PPL claims and must contain any information required by Centrelink, and be accompanied by any documents required by Centrelink.
Only the following people can make an effective PPL claim for PLP for a child:
- the child’s birth mother
- an adoptive parent of the child
- a person who
- is a parent of the child, and
- is not the child’s birth mother
- the partner of the child’s birth mother
- the partner of an adoptive parent of the child
- a partner of a person who is a parent of the child who is not the child’s birth mother
- a person who satisfies the circumstances prescribed by the PPL rules as being exceptional circumstances in which a PPL claim can be made.
Note: Some claimants require permission to make claims in order to make an effective PPL claim (4.1.6).