The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia.

1.1.G.50 Government rent (RA)


For the purposes of RA, Government rent is rent payable to a state or territory government housing authority.

Note: Rent payable for living in premises in respect of which someone else pays Government rent may also be regarded as Government rent (see SSAct subsection 13(3AC)).

If a state or territory government alters the name of a housing authority referred to in the SSAct, consider the reference in the SSAct as a reference to the authority's new name.

Act reference: SSAct section 13(1)-'Government rent', section 13(5) If a law of a State …, section 13(3AC) If a person pays …

Last reviewed: