Lump Sum Refunds - Agreement with Japan

Lump sum refunds

Australian residents, who are not Japanese nationals, will still be able to apply for refunds of their Japanese contributions (up to the existing limit of 3 years contributions) when they leave Japan. These applications for refunds must be made within 2 years of leaving Japan. However people who receive a refund will not be able to receive a Japanese pension in respect of these contributions and will not be able to use those periods to help them qualify for an Australian pension.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 23 Japan

Last reviewed: