People who Travel to a Third Country - Agreement with Japan

Third country portability

The Agreement provides for payment of Age to people who are residing in Australia or Japan. Article 5 of the Agreement allows Agreement pensioners who leave Australia or Japan to live in a third country (and are no longer considered a resident of Australia or Japan) to continue to be paid as long as Australian domestic legislation would otherwise allow it.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 23 Japan

Last reviewed: