The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Australia to Canada & Canada to Australia

Moving between Australia & Canada

Generally, benefits paid under the Agreement are portable indefinitely when the person travels between Australia and Canada. This means people being paid benefits under the Agreement can travel between Australia and Canada without the time restrictions that may apply to autonomous pensioners.

People paid under the Agreement who leave Australia, either temporarily or permanently, will have their rate calculated using the outside Australia rate in immediately they leave Australia.

People who come to Australia from Canada, either permanently or temporarily, and who do not qualify for an Australian benefit in their own right, will have their rate calculated using the inside Australia rate in immediately they arrive in Australia. Their rate will change to the normal autonomous rate as soon as they meet the usual residence qualifying periods.

Example: Ten years residence in Australia for Australian Age.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 4 Canada

Policy reference: SS Guide Outside Australia Rate - Agreement with Canada, Inside Australia Rate - Agreement with Canada

Last reviewed: