The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Exemptions from income management for people who are not principal carers of children

People without children

A person who is not a principal carer of a child may qualify for an exemption under SS(Admin)Act section 123UGC, if study requirements are met or receive less than 25% of their income support payment listed in SS(Admin)Act section 123UGC.

Example: Sean and Brittany have 2 children and Brittany has been determined by the Secretary to be the principal carer for the children. Sean receives JSP and is income managed under the Disengaged Youth Measure. Sean would like to apply for an exemption from income management. He would need to apply for this through participation criteria, and not through responsible parenting criteria, as he is not a principal carer.

Exempt students should be provided with information about VIM, including the incentive payment, and offered the opportunity to enter into a VIM agreement.

Alternatively, the person may meet another activity test, as set out in a legislative instrument.

A person who is granted an exemption should be provided with information, and offered the opportunity, to enter into a VIM agreement.

Example: Gordana is in receipt of YA and is being income managed under the Disengaged Youth Measure. She changes her study hours and goes from part-time study to full-time study. As she is now a full-time student, she will no longer be subject to the Disengaged Youth Measure of income management.

Gordana decides to volunteer for income management as she has found it a helpful tool to manage her money. She contacts Centrelink to enter into a VIM agreement.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 123UGC Exempt welfare payment recipient-person is not the principal carer of a child

Last reviewed: