The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Claim lodgement & verification

Need for a claim

An individual must lodge a claim to become entitled to FTB.

Act reference: FA(Admin)Act section 5 Need for a claim

Who can claim

Only individuals and ACOs can claim FTB.

Act reference: FA(Admin)Act section 6 Who can claim

How to claim

To be effective (1.1.E.10), a claim must be lodged in a form and manner as required by the Secretary. It must:

  • be on an approved claim form
  • include all relevant information and supporting documents
  • be lodged electronically or in person with Centrelink.

Act reference: FA(Admin)Act section 7 How to claim

Policy reference: FA Guide Common FTB claim requirements

Date of lodgement of a claim

The date of lodgement of a claim is the date it is received by Centrelink. The date of lodgement is relevant in determining the start day, instalment period (1.1.I.100) and the payment delivery day of an instalment claim and may also be relevant in determining whether a past period (1.1.P.60) or bereavement claim (1.1.B.20) is effective or made too late.

Act reference: FA(Admin)Act section 16 Determination of instalment entitlement claim, section 10 Restrictions on claims for payment of FTB for a past period

Policy reference: FA Guide Determining an FTB claim, 4.3.2 Payment cycles for FTB instalments, Specific requirements for past period claim, Claim action 7 - claim made too late

Verification of a claim

For verification of an FTB child's details, see

Claim may be withdrawn or changed

The individual (1.1.A.72) may withdraw the claim or change their claim before it is determined. If the claim is withdrawn it is taken never to have been made. If the individual wishes to change their claim, they must do so in writing and provide any extra information required to allow their eligibility to be assessed.

Act reference: FA(Admin)Act section 12 Claim may be withdrawn or varied

Last reviewed: