18.104.22.168 Supplementary benefits & employment assistance for JSP recipients
Other departmental benefits
NSA recipients can retain their HCC for 6 months after JSP ceases if:
- they have been receiving income support for 12 months, AND
- their payment ceases because of income from employment received by the recipient or their partner.
JSP recipients MAY also qualify for the following assistance, if they meet the relevant qualification criteria:
- rent assistance (22.214.171.124)
- pharmaceutical allowance (126.96.36.199)
- telephone allowance (188.8.131.52)
- crisis payment (184.108.40.206)
- energy supplement (220.127.116.11)
- remote area allowance (18.104.22.168)
- bereavement allowance (22.214.171.124)
- health care card (126.96.36.199)
- PCC in restricted circumstances (188.8.131.52)
Explanation: A JSP recipient receives a PCC where they are 60 years of age or more and have been receiving income support for the preceding 9 months, or if they are a single principal carer parent, or they are assessed as having a partial capacity to work.
- education entry payments (184.108.40.206)
- APWS for recipients participating in the following activities: WFD, NWEP, RYLDC (Youth Corps), or CDP structured activities
- language, literacy and numeracy training and supplement (220.127.116.11), or
- PES (in specific circumstances, where the person is a single principal carer receiving JSP, or have transferred from DSP, or from PPS (18.104.22.168).
Some supplementary payments, including PES will require a separate claim.
Act reference: SSAct section 1061ZK(5) Qualification for automatic issue HCC, section 1061ZA(2)(b) Qualification for, and issue of, PCC
Policy reference: SS Guide 3.1.5 Bereavement payment provisions, 3.7.4 CrP - qualification & payability, 3.8.1 RA - Qualification & Payability, 3.8.2 PhA - Qualification & Payability, 3.8.6 EdEP - Qualification & Payability, 3.8.7 TAL - Qualification & Payability, 3.8.8 RAA - Qualification & Payability, 3.8.9 FAA - Eligibility & Payability, 3.9.1 HCC - Qualification Provisions, 3.9.2 PCC - Qualification Provisions, 3.15.1 CEA - Qualification & Payability, 3.15.2 ES - Qualification & Payability, 3.8.3 PES - Qualification & Payability
JSP recipients may receive the following incentives to take up a job:
- access to working credits,
- payment of certain supplementary benefits during the employment income nil rate period,
- continued use of their HCC or PCC for a certain period,
- have their payment resumed during the employment income nil rate period if they report a fall in income sufficient for JSP to be payable again.
Act reference: SSAct section 23(4A) Despite subsection (4) …, section 23(4AA) For the purposes of subsection (4A) …, section 1073J Working credit balance prevents loss of qualification in certain cases, section 1061ZEA Further extended qualification rule: loss of payment because of employment income, section 1061ZMA Further extended qualification rule: loss of payment because of employment income