188.8.131.52 PES & secondary students
- study-load for full-time students
- progress rules for study below year 12, and
- progress rules for previous year 12 study.
Study-load for full-time students
The following table describes when a secondary student is considered to be a full-time student (1.1.F.230). This does not apply if they are on a concessional study-load (1.1.C.290). See also 184.108.40.206.
|If the student is studying at …||then they must be …|
a secondary school
in full-time study, which means completing a set amount of work, accepted by the school as being full-time for any given period.
a special school
over minimum (compulsory) school leaving age.
Explanation: State and territory education authorities have advised that students in special schools who are over school leaving age are regarded as undertaking accredited secondary study. This means they are undertaking approved courses for the purpose of the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Determination 2019.
studying at least 75% of the normal full-time study-load for the course in which they are enrolled.
Act reference: SSAct section 1061PC Approved course of education or study
Progress rules (i.e. allowable study time rules) for secondary study below year 12
Generally students are able to repeat study below year 12 level without restrictions. Only in exceptional circumstances should the delegate determine that a person is not making satisfactory progress towards completing the course. This is a discretionary decision and should also take into account any factors applicable to progress rules for year 12 study below.
Act reference: SSAct section 1061PH(1) General rule
Progress rules for previous year 12 study
Recipients will NOT usually be considered a full-time secondary student for PES purposes while attempting year 12 for a third time. However, a previous attempt at year 12 can be DISREGARDED if the recipient:
- failed the year because of
- an illness that had NOT been diagnosed when they started study in that calendar year, or
- other circumstances beyond their control that were NOT evident when they started study that year
- failed the year because English was NOT their first language
- studied part-time
- completed or discontinued studies within 6 months of the start of the academic year, or
- undertook the previous courses more than 10 years ago.
Act reference: SSAct section 1061PH(2) Students repeating year 12