The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Former Residents & Agreements

Former residents

A former resident who returns to Australia and claims, or transfers to, a pension will not be able to take their pension overseas with them if they subsequently leave Australia within 24 months (7.1.4).

Some of Australia's agreements protect people paid under the agreement from this rule.

An autonomous pensioner, who is subject to cancellation under the former resident provision, can transfer to an agreement pension to maintain qualification and portability if they go to an agreement country that covers that pension.

The rate of portable pension payable and the period of portability will be determined by the relevant agreement.

Last reviewed: