The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Lodging Claims Using an Agreement

Lodging claims

Australia's agreements are bilateral. That is, they allow people residing in an agreement country to claim an Australian benefit as if they were residing in Australia.

Some agreements also allow people to lodge claims under that agreement in a third country. However, that third country needs to be an agreement country that specifies they will accept claims made under Australia's other agreements.

Example: A person residing in Canada can lodge a claim for an Australian pension using Australia's Agreement with Italy.

The agreement countries that currently accept claims under Australia's other agreements are:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Korea
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Slovenia
  • Spain

Australia's agreements cover a variety of situations in which claims might be lodged. There are 2 basic factors that are important to claim lodgement:

  • where the person is residing, and
  • where the person is present when they lodge a claim.

The Article in agreements that allows claim lodgement does not confer eligibility. The person claiming still has to fulfil all other requirements to qualify for payment.

Last reviewed: