The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Minimum Periods for Non-Australian Residents

People residing outside Australia

People who are not Australian residents usually need a minimum of 12 months Australian working life residence, 6 months of which must be continuous, before they can use the totalisation provisions. Once they have satisfied this requirement they can then totalise periods of Australian residence and periods of contributions in the agreement country in order to qualify for Australian benefits.

Last reviewed: