The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Where People Can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with Japan

Where claims can be lodged

Claims for Australian benefits covered by the Agreement can be lodged:

  • in Australia, at any Centrelink office, or
  • in Japan, with any of the Japanese pension institutions, and
  • in a third country with which Australia has an Agreement that provides for cooperation in the lodgement of claims.

Requests on certificate of coverage matters can only be made at the ATO or any of the Japanese pension institutions in Japan

Under Article 20(1) of the Agreement, the date on which a claim is lodged with either of the above-mentioned authorities is the official date of lodgement for all purposes. This ensures that people outside Australia and Japan are not disadvantaged as a result of mailing delays.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 23 Japan

Last reviewed: