1.1.P.100 Prescribed educational scheme
For the purposes of FA, prescribed educational scheme has the same meaning as under the SSAct, and consists of payments under the following schemes:
- the means tested components of the ABSTUDY scheme including:
- living allowance
- the additional amount of Group 2 school fees allowance that is subject to the parental income test
- the Veterans' Children Education Scheme
- the scheme to provide education and training under Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 section 258, and
- the Post-Graduate Awards Scheme.
Interaction with ABSTUDY
The means tested components of the ABSTUDY scheme are not considered payments under a prescribed educational scheme for the purposes of determining whether a child 16 years or over is an FTB child if the payments are being paid on the basis that the child:
- is undertaking full-time study at a secondary school, and
- is a student approved to live away from home (under the ABSTUDY scheme), and
- is boarding away from home for the purposes of attending school.
In other words, the ABSTUDY child 16 years or over would continue to be regarded as an FTB child if they are receiving ABSTUDY to attend boarding school or a student hostel.
Act reference: SSAct section 5(1)-'prescribed educational scheme'