184.108.40.206 Change of Circumstances - General Provisions
This topic explains the general requirement for an individual (1.1.I.90) to advise Centrelink of changes in their circumstances and covers:
- relevance of a change of circumstances,
- general circumstances which must be notified.
Individuals who are eligible for CCS or ACCS have an obligation to notify Centrelink about change of circumstances that might affect their eligibility (1.1.E.17) or entitlement (1.1.E.30). Centrelink may also request information from individuals.
Unless otherwise stated eligibility circumstances and rate circumstances are the same for FTB Part A and FTB Part B.
Relevance of a change of circumstances
A person (1.1.P.80) must provide information about changes of circumstances to Centrelink if it is relevant to:
- the individual's eligibility for FA,
- determining the amount of their entitlement,
- verifying their eligibility,
- determining if FA has been paid to individuals who were not entitled to receive payment,
- determining if a person owes a debt (1.1.D.60),
- assisting to locate a person who owes a debt.
Centrelink may be aware of some of the changes in a person's circumstances from its own records and the individual may not be required to provide it.
Example: Centrelink does not need to be advised of an FTB child turning a particular age, as this information is obtained from Centrelink records.
General circumstances which must be notified
An individual must notify Centrelink of any changes to:
- address (postal or residential),
- bank account details.
Individuals intending to claim FTB as a lump sum do not need to advise of these changes, although they will be expected to have kept the appropriate records when they do submit their claim at the end of the financial year.