1.2.1.05 Jobseeker payment (JSP) - description
What is JSP?
JSP is the working age payment that replaced NSA from 20 March 2020.
JSP is an income support payment that provides financial assistance to people aged 22 years to age pension age who have capacity to work now or in the near future and prepared to meet mutual obligation requirements.
JSP will include access for people who have temporarily stopped working or studying to recover from an illness or injury but who have a job or study to return to. When the incapacity ends, and unless exempted from mutual obligations requirements (3.11.5), a recipient must:
- participate in or be willing to participate in approved activities, and/or job search, and
- be prepared to enter into, comply with or vary an existing Job Plan to fulfil the mutual obligation requirements (3.11).
How is JSP entitlement determined?
JSP is calculated on a daily basis and is paid in arrears, generally in instalments of 14 days. Instalment periods of less than 14 days may be paid where a person changes their payday arrangements.
Policy reference: SS Guide 8.4 Payment methods
Recipients receiving JSP MAY also receive one or more of the following as part of their JSP rate:
- rent assistance (18.104.22.168)
- energy supplement (22.214.171.124)
- pharmaceutical allowance (126.96.36.199)
- remote area allowance (188.8.131.52)
- approved program of work supplement (184.108.40.206).
They MAY also be entitled to the following while in receipt of JSP:
- telephone allowance (220.127.116.11)
- HCC (18.104.22.168) or PCC (22.214.171.124)
- LLNS (126.96.36.199) if undertaking training through the Skills for Education and Employment Program.
Bereavement payment provisions
Following the death of a partner, the surviving member of a couple may be eligible for bereavement payments or a one-off partner bereavement payment
Act reference: SSAct section 660LA Ongoing payment for death of partner, section 660LH One-off payment for death of partner
Policy reference: SS Guide 3.1.5 Bereavement payment provisions
Background to JSP
JSP was introduced on 20 March 2020. The following payments progressively ceased as part of the creation of JSP:
- NSA (188.8.131.52) (ceased on 20 March 2020)
- SA (184.108.40.206) (closed to new recipients on 20 March 2020 and ceased on 20 September 2020)
- BVA (closed to new recipients on 20 March 2020 and ceased when all existing recipients finished their bereavement period)
- WA (220.127.116.11) (closed to new recipients on 1 July 2018 and ceased on 1 January 2022)
- WP (18.104.22.168) (closed to new recipients on 1 July 1995 ceased on 20 March 2020)
- PA (22.214.171.124) (closed to new recipients on 20 September 2003 ceased on 1 January 2022)
- WidB (126.96.36.199) (closed to new recipients on 20 March 1997 ceased on 20 March 2020).