220.127.116.11 Outline of income management measures
Note: Entrance to the income management regime closed 4 September 2023
Following commencement of the Social Security (Administration) Amendment (Income Management Reform) Act 2023, people currently subject to the income management regime can choose to move to the enhanced income management regime.
Please refer to Part 12 Enhanced income management regime.
Income management measures are targeted to specified groups of income support payment recipients, based on their higher risk of social isolation and disengagement, poor financial literacy, and participation in risky behaviours. These groups comprise of:
- people who have been referred to income management by the Queensland Family Responsibilities Commission under the Cape York Welfare Reform
- people aged 15 to 24 years old who have been receiving YA, JSP, SpB or PP for more than 13 weeks out of the last 26 weeks (disengaged youth)
- people aged 25 years old and above (and younger than age pension age), who have been in receipt of YA, JSP, SpB or PP for more than 52 weeks out of the last 104 weeks (long-term welfare payment recipients)
- people assessed by a delegate of the Secretary (in practice, a Centrelink social worker), as requiring income management for reasons that include vulnerability to financial crisis or economic abuse. In place-based income management sites, this could include people referred by state housing authorities because they are at risk of homelessness due to rental arrears
- people aged under 16 years granted SpB, or those aged 16 and over granted the unreasonable to live at home rate of payment; and people under the age of 25 who receive crisis payment due to prison release, and who live in a location in which the vulnerable measure of income management operates (vulnerable youth)
- people referred for income management by child protection authorities, and
- people referred for income management by other state and territory authorities.
People who are not in any of the target groups, and reside in a declared area, may also volunteer for income management to have their income support and family assistance payments income managed.