126.96.36.199 Eligibility for FAA
To be eligible for FAA, a recipient must:
- be undertaking qualifying study (1.1.Q.40)
- have their permanent home in Australia, and
- the recipient must
- be dependent and receive the away from home rate of YA, or
- live away from their partner (1.1.P.85) for study purposes, or
- live away from their dependent children (1.1.D.70) for study purposes, or
- be studying as an external student, or
- live away from home and have become independent through age (188.8.131.52) or work (184.108.40.206). However the person must have been dependent and living away from home in the study year before becoming independent.
Exception: FAA is not paid if travel is undertaken for a practical component of the course away from the institution itself.
Example: Field excursions, practical teaching sessions, periods of hospital residence.
Recipients qualifying for payment as full-time Australian Apprentices are not eligible to receive FAA.
Parent living away from dependent child
FAA is paid to a parent who lives away from their dependent child, if the child remains in the permanent home.
A dependent child for this purpose is any child attracting family assistance or PPS and also includes dependent full-time students of the parent.
Exception: Dependent young people who are not full-time students are NOT included.