This definition applies to all payments.
A person is said to have a debt to the Commonwealth if a person owes monies to the Commonwealth due to the application of:
- SSAct Part 5.2 - Amounts recoverable under this Act
- SSAct section 1135 - Effect of participation in pension loans scheme-creation of debt
- SS(Admin)Act Part 3B Division 8 - Debt recovery etc. and Part 3D - Cashless welfare arrangements
- overpayments under certain other Acts or schemes
- debts incurred under other Acts for failing to repay part or all of overpayments referred to in the previous point
- Data-matching Program (Assistance and Tax) Act 1990 subsection 11(6)
- an international social security agreement (1.1.A.120)
- AoS (1.1.A.310) provisions.
Not all debts are recoverable, nor is action always taken to ensure repayment of recoverable debts. SSAct Chapter 5 and SS Guide Part 6 should be consulted in all cases.