1.1.D.60 Departure interview
A departure interview is an interview in which a person advises of an intention to go overseas, either temporarily or permanently. The departure interview does not have to be a formal face-to-face interview. It can be conducted by telephone, if that is considered appropriate.
The aims of the departure interview are to:
- determine whether the person's payment will be payable during any or all of the absence
- determine the period for which the payment is payable and the method of payment
- determine the appropriate rate, including: whether add-ons such as PhA, RA or pension supplement are to be paid during the absence, and whether the rate should be proportionalised after 26 weeks of absence
- review the person's current financial circumstances under the income and assets tests
- review the person's family situation when partners and/or children are involved
- advise DSP recipients of future entitlement status on medical grounds
- conduct an early post-grant interview, if the person is a sole parent who was granted PPS within 3 months of the expected date of departure from Australia (1.1.A.320)
- answer the person's questions and to let them know their entitlements, rights and obligations
- give the person written advice if
Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'social security payment'