1.1.A.324 Australian Apprentice (YA, Austudy)
For the purposes of the definition of new apprentice for YA and Austudy, a person must satisfy the following requirements:
- the person is employed under a training contract as a full-time apprentice, and
- the training contract has been submitted to a state or territory training authority for approval as a full-time apprenticeship under the scheme known as Australian Apprenticeships.
The terms Australian Apprenticeships and Australian Apprentices cover all apprenticeship and traineeship arrangements - both new and traditional. Australian Apprenticeships can cover full or part-time work. The part-time arrangements are also available to school students.
Full-time Australian Apprentices
A full-time Australian Apprentice is a person who satisfies the following conditions:
- has signed a training contract with an employer to undertake a full-time Australian Apprenticeship
- training contract has been submitted for approval to a State Training Authority for the person to undertake a full-time apprenticeship under the scheme known as Australian Apprenticeships, and
- is employed as a full-time apprentice.
Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'new apprentice'