The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Supplementary benefits & employment assistance for YA recipients

Supplementary benefits

YA recipients MAY also qualify for the following assistance if they meet the relevant qualification criteria:

  • rent assistance (
  • pharmaceutical allowance (
  • telephone allowance (
  • crisis payment (
  • energy supplement (
  • bereavement payment (3.1.5)
  • health care card (
  • PCC in restricted circumstances (
    • Explanation: A YA (other) recipient receives a PCC where they are a single principal carer parent or have been assessed as having a partial capacity to work.
  • remote area allowance (
  • fares allowance (
  • mobility allowance (
  • student start-up loan (
  • relocation scholarship (
  • APWS for recipients participating in the following activities: WFD or NWEP
  • language, literacy and numeracy training and supplement (
  • PES in limited circumstances (, and/or
  • youth disability supplement (

YA (other) is a YA recipient who is other than a YA full-time student or YA Australian Apprentice (1.1.A.324).

Policy reference: SS Guide 3.8.1 RA - qualification & payability, 3.8.2 PhA - qualification & payability, 3.8.8 RAA - qualification & payability, 3.8.9 FAA - eligibility & payability, 3.9.1 HCC - Qualification Provisions, 3.6.6 MOB - qualification & payability, 3.1.5 Bereavement payment provisions, 3.8.3 PES - qualification & payability, 3.9.2 PCC - Qualification Provisions, Qualification for EdEP - JSP & PPP, 3.8.15 Relocation scholarship - qualification & payability, 3.8.19 SSL - qualification & payability, 3.15.1 CEA - qualification & payability, 3.15.2 ES - qualification & payability

Employment incentives

YA recipients may receive the following incentives to take up a job:

  • access to working credits or student income bank
  • payment of certain supplementary benefits during the employment income nil rate period
  • continued use of their HCC or PCC for a certain period, and
  • able to have their payment resumed during the employment income nil rate period if they report a fall in income sufficient for YA to be payable again.

Policy reference: SS Guide 3.1.11 Working credit, 3.1.12 Employment income nil rate period, Qualification for HCC - automatic issue, Qualification for PCC, Full-time students - personal income test, limits & student income bank

Transfer to JSP

YA recipients who are not full time students or Australian Apprentices transfer to JSP on their 22nd birthday. A JSP claim form is required. They are no longer subject to the parental means test (1.1.P.45), and de facto relationships of less than 12 months duration are recognised. Such relationships would mean the partner income test would apply, unless the partner is a dependent YA recipient (1.1.D.100) or dependent ABSTUDY living allowance recipient.

YA students aged 22 years and over lose qualification for YA when they cease full-time study (1.1.F.230), or drop below a full-time load. If their circumstances have not otherwise changed, they can claim JSP.

Inappropriate claims

The following table describes YA recipients in special circumstances, who may be better off seeking a different payment:

If the recipient is … then they should be referred to …
a primary carer of dependent children aged under 8 if single or 6 if partnered parenting payment.
unable to work 15 hours or more per week due to permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric impairment disability support pension.
caring for an adult or dependent child with a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability CP and/or CA.

Last reviewed: