1.1.R.160 Rent (RA)
For the purposes of RA, rent means amounts paid or payable on a regular basis by a RA applicant or recipient or their partner, as a condition of occupying their principal home. Rent includes amounts paid for:
- accommodation in a care situation, defined in the SSAct subsection 13(9)
- Exception: Government subsidised Residential Aged Care is precluded from RA.
- service or maintenance fee for services provided in a retirement village
- the use of site for a
- caravan or other vehicle
- mobile home
- transportable home, or
- tent, and
- the right to moor a vessel.
Amounts are considered to be paid on a regular basis where they are paid at least quarterly. Some income support recipients who pay rent on a less regular basis can also receive RA if the Secretary is satisfied that the amounts should be treated as rent for the purposes of the SSAct under section 13(2).
Example: Amounts for the following are considered to be paid on a regular basis if they are paid at least quarterly:
- site fees paid for a
- caravan or other vehicle, OR
- mobile home, OR
- transportable home, OR
- tent, OR
- service or maintenance fees for services provided in a retirement village.