The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Claim action 2 - claim not complete

Is a letter required?


What to do

Centrelink must contact the individual (1.1.A.72) to obtain any outstanding information or documents. Outstanding information can be obtained:

  • over the phone
  • by signing a written statement, or
  • in person.

Where outstanding information is obtained over the phone or in person, an electronic or written record of the following information must be made:

  • the details obtained
  • the details of the officer who obtained the information
  • the date the information was obtained, and
  • the method used to obtain the information.

Outstanding documents can be obtained by:

  • mail, or
  • appointment.

Time given to comply with the request

The individual has 14 days from the date of the initial request to comply with the request to provide outstanding information. Individuals may request an extension of time to provide information, up to a maximum of 13 weeks, which Centrelink will grant if it is reasonable to do so. The request must be made within the 14-day period. The extension may be renewed subject to the 13-week maximum.

Some of the circumstances in which it may be reasonable to grant an extension include:

  • an individual having practical difficulties in meeting the 14-day timeframe as a result of living in a remote area or overseas
  • an emergency interfering with an individual's plans to lodge within the 14-day period, or
  • documentation not immediately available.

Consequences of not complying with the request

Failure of the individual to provide the requested information or documents stops the claim from being effective (1.1.E.10).

The individual should be advised that an ineffective claim cannot be reinstated by any Centrelink action, and if they want to test their eligibility for FTB in the future they must lodge a new claim.


An electronic or paper file record of this advice should be kept.

Act reference: FA(Admin)Act section 154 General power to obtain information, section 7 How to claim

Policy reference: FA Guide Common FTB claim requirements

Last reviewed: