1.1.P.235 Personal effects & household contents
This definition applies to all payments subject to assets testing provisions.
'Personal effects and household contents' include:
- hobby collections (e.g. stamps and coins),
- paintings and works of art,
- soft furnishings (e.g. curtains),
- electrical appliances other than fixtures such as stoves and built-in items.
- Explanation: Permanent fixtures are regarded as part of the home and not as household contents.
The following are NOT personal effects and household items:
- vehicles (e.g. cars, boats, trailers, caravans and motor cycles),
- unmounted gems, and
- collections held for other than purely personal purposes.
Policy reference: SS Guide 184.108.40.206 Assessing Personal Effects, Household Contents, Vehicles & Cash